Do you know how to match whiskey with cigars? It’s like anything else you eat or consume in tandem: some things mix better than others. We want to show you the best ways to complement the rich flavor of our quality cigars with popular whiskeys.
Guide to Pairing Whiskey & Cigars
The Vault Downtown has 38 cigar selections that go great with several adult beverages. Here are a few combinations to consider:
- Montecristo White Series (Toro) & Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve Bourbon
- This is your best pairing if you’re seeking a well-balanced after-meal cigar and drink. The Pappy Van Winkle has lots of vanilla and caramel flavors that go surprisingly well with the Montecristo White Series and its rich Ecuadorian fillers.
- Arturo Fuente Opus X Double Corona & Balcones True Blue 100 Straight Corn Whiskey
- The Opus X is one of our most premium cigars, and many aficionados like to match it with the True Blue 100 from Balcones. Both are strong and probably not the best choice for beginners. We carry the Opus X for $67 because it really is the pinnacle masterpiece of cigars. You’ll appreciate the blending of creamy coffee and earthy flavors with the Tonka beans and molasses of True Blue 100.
- Cohiba Dominican (Churchill) & Maker’s Mark
- The Cohiba Dominican is a reliable and relaxing medium-bodied cigar full of nutty, spicy, and cocoa flavors. Maker’s Mark has a spicy taste to it as well. It also has hints of vanilla bean and nut flavors that collaborate with the Cohiba Dominican. Many of the tastes are subtle, while some of them are obvious even after the first draw.
- Punch Gran Puro Nicaragua & Jim Beam Kentucky Straight Bourbon
- This last selection features one of the most well-known and beloved distillers, the Jim Beam variety. It matches excellently with any Punch cigar. You’ll get a nice array of ingredients from the bourbon whiskey along with the Punch Gran Puro’s earthy, chocolaty, cocoa tones. Like many of our cigars, this one’s well suited toward many masculine pallets.
Whenever you choose cigars and whiskey, you should decide whether you want similarity or contrast, and it also helps to start with a lower-proof whiskey (about 40 proof). That way, if you’re new to either cigars or whiskey, it won’t overwhelm you. Other than that, have fun and experiment until you find the pairing you enjoy most.
The Vault Downtown offers premium cigars, spirits, and other drinks and food for patrons in Bluefield, WV. It helps to know which of those complement one another the best in order to optimize your evening experience with us. These are only a few suggestions on how to mix and match. If you’d like to learn more about our establishment, live events, or anything else, call us at 304-308-6601.